Over the past two weeks I’ve been meeting with contractors in the beginning stages of planning a bathroom remodel. My master bathroom is slightly bigger than a coffin. So far I’ve gotten two estimates and the difference between them… only $10,000.
One of my best friends has suggested I hire a husband a la Deborah Messing in The Wedding Date. Isn’t giving in and admitting I can’t seem to get an honest quote (possibly) because I’m a single woman losing?
I had one contractor perhaps meaning well, perhaps not… who came off as chauvinistic. He told me maybe I should wait and save up for this project. As in… you are a girl and you may not have a head for numbers. And not… I know the costs I am quoting you are ridiculous and exorbitant. Since I don’t really have a head for numbers, maybe I should go roll some pennies and ask my dad for a higher allowance. I am in fact amazing at creating and even sticking to budgets and can think of bunches of ways I would rather spend the ridiculous amount of money quoted…
- Take a solo cruise to Antarctica on a National Geographic 14-day expedition from the US via Argentina and onto Antarctica
- Fly two people to Venice, in order to journey on the legendary Orient Express for three days to London
- Buy two around the world plane fares going from DC–> Lima, Peru –> Casablanca, Morocco –> Athens, Greece –> Mumbai, India –> Auckland, New Zealand –> San Francisco
- Mani/pedis at the salon once a month till I’m nearly 80 years old
- A seven-day French/Italian Riviera cruise (Nice to Rome) for me and three friends
OR… I could save my pennies and have a nicer coffin-sized (bathroom). Tell me, what do you dream of spending money on?