3 1/2 cups hulled and chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup, and 2 Tbsp superfine sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups light cream
5 egg yolks
1. While stirring frequently, heat the cream until it begins to bubble. Then allow to cool slightly.
2. In a large heat safe bowl, beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until thick and creamy. Beat the cooling cream gently into the egg/sugar mixture.
3. Put the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and stir with a wooden spoon until the custard just coats the back of the spoon. Remove the bowl and let it cool.
4. Puree the strawberries in a blender with the 2 Tbsp sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract. If you would like seedless gelato, pour through a fine-mesh strainer at this point.
5. Stir the strawberry puree into the basic gelato until well blended. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Stop churning
when it is almost firm, transfer to a freezer container and leave in the freezer for 15 minutes prior to serving.
– Take out of the freezer 15 minutes before serving to allow it to soften.
– Remember to read your ice cream maker’s instructions and pre-freeze if necessary.
– The gelato is best eaten within a month.